Do you know that Sweet and sour was actually originated from China, Hunan? The original ingredients were a mixture of weak vinegar and sugar. Back in the olden days, Sweet and sour sauce is used as a dipping sauce for fried pork and fish.
However, in the current trend, this Sweet and sour sauce is a favorite among the Malay families because it is easy to cook and the Malays are used to spicy with a little mixture of sweetness sauce in their dishes. Sweet and sour is actually a mixture of red chilly sauce and tomato sauce which can be found easily in your kitchen. This authentic sauce can be used in poultry, pork, fish and mix vegetables too.
It is a little troublesome to cook due to the fact that you had to deep fried the meat stuff and drain the oil before stir fry them with the Sweet and sour sauce. Anyway, it is worth the effort when you see everyone start snatching all the food on the table , right? Today, I had whipped up a nice Sweet and sour Fish. You can use any type of fish that you like. It taste delicious with Mackerel ( ikan keembong) or Bigeye Scad ( ikan selar ).
1 or 2 piece of Mackerel fish ( I used ikan kuning-8 pieces)
2 clove garlic-chopped
5 clove shallots-chopped
3 pieces red chilly or green chilly ( chilli padi)
2 tomatoes ( quartered)
2 slice pineapple - diced ( optional)
2 tbs chilli boh or chilli sauce
3 tbs oyster sauce
2 tbs tomato sauce
1 tbsp cornflour mix with 3 tbsp water
turmeric powder / flour
oyster sauce, chilli sauce, tomato sauce
- Mix fish with turmeric powder and salt.
- Deep fry the fish until cook. Remove and drain the oil.
- Decorate fish on a flat dish / plate.
- With 2 tbsp oil, saute garlic, shallots, red / green chilli until fragrant.
- Add in tomatoes, pineapple (optional) for 1 min.
- Pour in all the sauces and thicken it with the cornflour mixture.
- Turn off the heat.
- Quickly, pour the Sweet and sour sauce on to of the fried fish.
- Serve with coriander leaves or chopped spring onions.
TOP: Fried fish
BELOW: Sauce thicken